1) I've been in dire need of a hair cut. My hair has been long and scraggly and broken and annoying. It goes from ponytail to shower to ponytail again, which hasn't done anything to help the shape it was in. I love Gwyneth's hair here, and that she doesn't do bangs (I'm tired of the side-swept bang look). She's always so simple and classy and I'm pretty sure she has painfully thin strands like I do, which means if she can do this kind of cute, curly cut, I might be able to as well.
You be the judge:
2) I made an AWESOME salad. Going back to my rant about bunny food diets last week, I made something delicious and hearty that's still a salad with lots of fresh, healthy vegetation:
Ranchero Chicken and Chick Pea Salad
- one 7-oz can Herdez Ranchero salsa (in the international aisle of most grocery stores)
- one package of chicken tenders (I like Publix "Greenwise" chicken because it's hormone and antibiotic free)
- 2-3 tsp. dry seasoning - whatever you like: chili, paprika, cumin, coriander, or if you want the perfect blend, use Penzey's Chili 9000.
- generous pinch salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can chick peas / garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp non-fat Greek yogurt
- spring mix or other dark, leafy green salad
- fresh tomatoes
- fresh cilantro
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Drizzle with olive oil then coat in spices and salt. Use more or less seasoning to taste - I like a LOT of the chili blend!
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, place chicken in the pan to begin to sear.
- Once chicken pieces are browned on all sides, add the whole can of Ranchero salsa. It's a spicy salsa blend so if you prefer less heat, stick to an equal amount of a milder salsa.
- Allow to come up to a boil (will happen quickly) then reduce the heat to low, add the drained chick peas and cover with a lid. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and move skillet to a cool burner. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes before serving. Meanwhile, combine Greek yogurt and 1-2 spoon fulls of the cooking liquid and a small drizzle of olive oil. This will make a smokey, creamy-like dressing.
- Toss your greens with desired amount of dressing then onto a plate. Next spoon over the chicken with chick peas. Sprinkle with a little shredded cheese if you desire. Finish with diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro.
3) Lastly, a little bit of motivation / humor...
Have you done anything indulgent lately? I get my hair styled maybe once every 6 months so that I feel like I can justify the cost.