Thursday, April 19, 2012

Three Things Thursday

Miles
Monday: 8, treadmill - 7.5 @ goal marathon pace
Tuesday: cadence-specific spin class
Wednesday: off
Thursday: fartleks & hill intervals (treadmill, probably 5 or 6 miles)
Friday: spinning + weights
Sat & Sunday: have yet to decide because I haven't seen my schedule yet, but I'd like to get out for a relaxed, long-ish run and/or bike ride.

Munchies

If you are as lucky as we are to have the one of the best supermarkets in the country (in my opinion) - Publix - then this chicken salad practically makes itself. If you don't have a Publix, don't worry, you can still make this recipe, you just have to either rotisserie your own chicken or, more realistically, find a place that does chicken really well. For us, that happens to be Publix, where you can buy a whole cooked chicken for $7.00.

Super-easy Chicken Salad
  • 1 fully cooked (and cooled) chicken, chopped. My favorite is the original recipe rotisserie chicken but Publix's lemon pepper one is good, too. I use all the white and dark meat plus just a little bit of the golden delicious skin. When watching fat and calories, skip the skin and take your time to carefully pick your meat from the chicken to avoid any extra fat.
  • 1-2c. chopped carrots
  • 1-2c. chopped celery
  • 1/2c. chopped scallions
  • 1 small chopped granny smith apple
  • 1/2c. Craisins
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Measurements are approximate because some people like a lot of carrots, others might like more apple or celery. I like enough of each fruit and veg to get a little of everything on each forkfull.

Dressing
  • 3 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 2 tbsp mustard (yellow, dijon, spicy, whatever you like best)
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp salt
  • about 1/4 tsp each paprika, ground black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder (adjust to taste)
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1-2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Whip together mayonnaise, mustard, honey and seasonings until well-incorporated. Then slowly drizzle in olive oil and cider vinegar while continuously stirring. Dressing should become a little runny. Once finished, pour over chicken salad and toss to combine. If salad seems a little dry, whisk together a little bit more of the dressing.

To serve, I like to eat my chicken salad in a wrap. I LOVE Flat-Out Pita Bread.

www.flatoutbread.com
I throw some mix on my wrap with some lettuce and voila! Dinner! (or snack, or lunch... or heck, with the apple and Craisins, even dessert)






Motivation

I literally *just* read this and I can't tell you how much this resonates with me:

What is your main motivation to be fit?

My 6-month old daughter is my main motivation. One lifetime with her is just not enough. In order to make sure I am around for a long time I maintain a healthy lifestyle. Not only does staying fit benefit me, but it sets a positive example for her. I want Emmalyne to grow up being active and LOVING it.
-- Madeline Glasser

-------------------------------------------

 What's YOUR primary source of inspiration and motivation?

No comments: