Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sunday Funday - Celebrating Earth's bounty

I played hooky today. Don't worry, I actually requested the day off well ahead of time. I just new I needed a Sunday morning away from the brunch crowd and I am so glad that I did. I wanted to enjoy and celebrate everything this wonderful planet has to offer.

First, there's the food made from our wonderful grains. To fully appreciate the Earth's bounty, we gorged on carbs from Panera.

cinnamon crunch - with hazelnut cream cheese, of course
I'm not a white bread kind of girl, but sometimes you just need a doughy, fluffy, all-purpose flour concoction such as this. And not that this is relevant in any way, but we always recycle our paper bags and boxes from Panera when we eat from there (nevermind that we order enough that they give us a box to take it home in).

Next, I had a date with my lady in yellow on a nicely wooded stretch of multi-use trail. It was easy and short (20 miles) but really windy. She held up pretty well and can zip along really quick in those higher gears!





Yeah, I'm THAT mom who drives the VW with the jogger in the trunk and a bike on the back. If those people bother you, take solace in the fact that the wind almost ripped the rack and bike off my car three times. Besides that, now that I'm biking to work more, you won't even see my annoying mom-wagon.

In usual Sunday fashion the day ended with tacos and tequila; an Anejo tequila version of a Manhattan for myself and something more traditional for the hubby. I can't really draw an Earth Day connection here. Little Miss joined in the fun (the food, not the beverage) but when I ordered for her, the server gave me a look and said "Are you sure? This stuff is a little spicy." I almost replied with my usual dead-pan humor "she'll deal with it" but instead opted for politely assuring him that she was accustomed to different types of cuisine and often asks for spicy foods at home.

On that note: kids' menus are the devil. Stop ordering off of them. Start sharing food off your own plate while your kids are young to avoid having to drown everything in ketchup or cheese to get them to eat it. Our girl wasn't even two yet when I shared some Cajun grilled catfish with her and she wound up eating more of my meal than I did. You don't get that kind of enthusiasm for a variety of flavors with chicken tenders.

What? You thought I'd go a whole post without preaching about something?

How was your Sunday? Do anything fun outdoors to celebrate Earth Day (or just enjoy being outside)?

What's the weirdest thing you chose/were made to eat as a kid? What whacky foods do your own children ask for?

No comments: