Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tuesday Night Spin - The Go-To

Since I don't like to listen to the same songs in the same order every time I work out, I assume that if the same people come to my class every Tuesday, they wouldn't want to, either. But it's important to have a go-to format that I don't have to think about that both gets the adrenaline going and kicks some ass.

It also so happens that today, rather then spending time on Amazon trying to pick out a new tune or two, I spent the entire nap time on About.com and LegalZoom.com hashing over details of starting my own business. More on that later.

The great thing about "The Go-To Playlist" is that there are a few songs I leave on there no matter what and a few great songs I can interchange depending on my mood. Today, I felt charged up as I thought about the possibilities that might lie ahead of me in my future so I certainly picked music to reflect my mood.

So if you don't already have these songs in your own workout mixes, I suggest you go download these rightnow.

"Good Feeling" Flo Rida. You've seen it on several of my mixes and here's why this girl raised on classic rock can't help but love this guy:
Got adrenaline, never giving in
Giving up's not an option, gotta get it in
Witness I got the heart of 20 men
No fear, go to sleep in the lion's den
"Devil Drums" Scooter. Imagine you're the hero of an action movie in some elaborately choreographed chase scene as you listen to this song. I guarantee you'll move faster. Actually looking good while you move is optional.






"Shake it Out" Florence and the Machine. This song is beautiful and cathartic and reminds me every single time I hear it to let go of anything and everything that might be dragging me down or holding me back.

"Lose Yourself" Eminem. Because times are so hard and and it's getting even harder trying to feed and water my seed, plus teeter-totter caught up between trying to be a father and a primma dona, baby mama drama screaming on...

"Lancaster Gate" Enter the Haggis. I know not everyone appreciates my love of bagpipes + electric guitar but there's a reason this song is on my playlist: It's not the song I wanted but it was the closest thing that would do. When I went to spin classes in Greenville, this one instructor had this awesome Celtic rock kind of song she used for standing runs that was just so beautiful and energizing that I might have actually been the weirdo cheering "Woohoo!" from the back row when it came on toward the end of class. I finally asked her one day what song it was and she said, "I have no idea. It's just an untitled song file on my Ipod that I got from somebody a long time ago who forgot to tell me who did the song." Are you kidding me? So after years of randomly sitting up all night from time to time obsessively searching for this song (suspecting it may have been performed by The Chieftains, I have listened to at least 30 seconds of every single track off every one of their albums, which is like 3,000 songs), I finally stumbled upon this gem by Enter the Haggis and decided it would have to do. It's now one of my favorite songs to run and spin to.

Now I want to hear from you: What is your favorite song to work out to and why?

No comments: