Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Team Challenge Update

I'm taking a break from my regular posts because I'm focusing hard on fundraising like crazy. I have my go-to playlist that I usually pull out once a month when my brain is too fried to come up with something new, so I can spend naptime giving an update on my Team Challenge and Half Marathon training progress.


First, the running:
All I can say is, WOW. I don't think I've ever done back-to-back 7+ mile runs on consecutive days and not been sore but this time around, something has changed. I don't know if I've finally been broken in from previous marathons (or marathon weekends at work), but my legs feel hardier than ever and I'm running 8-minute miles, no sweat. Except for the gnats. If you live in the south, you know what I'm talking about. Those f*****s are e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. Ugh! And the stinkbugs!

My longest run to date for the season is 9 miles in 1:15. With the cooler temps I haven't even felt the need to take water or anything else with me on a run. I'm even contemplating not bothering with gels or blocks at all and just relying on the hydration stations along the course when I run Atlanta and Vegas. I suppose I do have the ridiculously hot and humid summer to thank - I don't break a sweat until I'm well into my run.

Anyone else out there skipping race nutrition? At what point is your cut-off that determines if you consume calories or rely in liquids alone?

Part Two, the fundraising:

It's a little scary, being responsible to bring in so much for an organization. The idea seems so great and noble initially, until you realize you need to fully commit to the team and say, "If I don't raise the money, I'll make up the difference." Most fundraisers that include travel and racing have this stipulation, which I understand. I knew this wasn't going to be a free trip or a free run. But I have a long way to go: $2180, to be exact.

Yikes :-O

So I need some help. If there's a chance that you're one of the bigger bloggers out there whom I love and admire, All I need you to do is share a link- either to my blog or my fundraising page. I'm asking everyone to consider even a small donation but if you simply can't do it, it would help so much if you at least shared my mission - to raise money to find a cure for Crohn's disease and colitis and to fund support and education for patients.

Cuz you see, I had a moment (well, the moment lasted 4 days, to be exact) when I panicked and thought, "I can't do this!" I felt aweful. I've taken in $520 of my friends' and family's hard-earned money already -- and it seemed like it was all going to be for nothing. We had to make the ultimate decision to fully commit or not, and I thought there was no way I could possibly meet my goal.

But then I thought about my friends in the hospital, or going to the doctor every other week. People waiting for medication and treatment, or simply waiting to get sick enough that the hospital can't turn them away for being uninsured. I thought about a 2-yr-old who can't comprehend why he can't eat without his entire body hurting. I thought about what a punk I'd be if I gave up now.

I have faith that I can do this.

http://www.active.com/donate/GA11TCVEGAS/ga11vegasJRaby

Thank you.

No comments: