Wednesday, November 5, 2008

a new day, a new hope

I awoke this morning with a new sense of optimism and hope for the next four years. This was my first election where I did not feel entirely disenfranchised, even if SC was still glowing red on the results map. But damn it, it took me 5 hours to vote and I was proud to do it (story about that to come).


Whether or not you voted for Obama, I hope everyone can appreciate how monumental this election was, and what it means for our country that we are looking at our first African-American president. We still have many gaps to close, and this election in and of itself won't eradicate racism and ignorance, but it's a major step along the way that proves that maybe we are capable of moving forward after all (a fact that, in my misanthropic moods, I sometimes find difficult to believe).

If you got out there to vote, kudos to you. If you didn't, hopefully now you see the importance every single vote.

No comments: