Thursday, June 23, 2011

"Jillian Michaels wouldn't eat prime rib."

So says my coworker to me as I scarf the meal a manager bought me for helping the restaurant nearly sell out of the delicious carnivorous concoction (making it so our kitchen manager would not pitch a fit the next morning for having too much left over).

I thought, why wouldn't she eat prime rib?

I mean, that girl has got to burn the calories to justify it. Lord knows I do, between doing her workouts, running, spinning, and whatever other activity sparks my interest from one week to the next. Oh yeah, and serving, which is estimated at 400kcal/hour, or something like that. The trick is not to stop and eat the fries every time you pass by the expo.

My coworker's comment has me thinking, though, about practicing what I preach and being what I eat. I certainly don't want to LOOK like a regular to the meat n' potatoes counter at the buffet. And I CAN truthfully say that a basket of strawberries, a bunch of bananas, and whatever other fruits we have on hand barely last 3 days between the daughter and me. I love me some roasted asparagus, I can cook fish well enough to include that on the menu at home, and I tend to avoid buying crap (no Oreos, potato chips, or frozen chicken tenders here).

As I move forward with my training in the field of health and fitness, I do realize, however, that I have to be more mindful of these things. I certainly can't tell clients or students to do as I say and not as I do. Because the truth of the matter is, I AM human, I DO eat fries. So I'm a big fan of the 90/10 rule: Eat as well as you can, 90% of the time. Or, of the 10 or so times you eat over the course of two days - counting each meal and two snacks per day - one of those can be whatever you want so long as the rest are balanced.

And just so you know, I did order asparagus with my prime rib!

No comments: