Saturday, March 5, 2011

What a Saturday should feel like

Don't forget to give yourself a day. This is what I learned from today, a relatively easy Saturday, for once.

Last Saturday I attended an 8:00 AM restaurant meeting, followed by a double shift with no break because, ya know, people needed to eat. No problem- I figure 14 hours on my feet counts as something toward training or fitness maintenance. But it doesn't make me miss taking advantage of my weekends for getting outdoors any less. And that kind of positive thinking about my job can only carry me so far when I work weekend after weekend after weekend of double shifts, such as what happened in the month of January and some of February, too.

So I decided, with this new gig as an indoor cycling instructor, I'd whittle down my availability at work to exclude Sundays. Money's good, but sanity is better.

Today, I got to work (just lunch), work out (just me and a bike, no class), shower (not in a rush to get clean before the gym daycare closes), AND go OUT for dinner (not scramble to put together some sort of piecemeal, random-ass meal).

And I get to sleep in tomorrow?! What??

Seriously, folks. If you don't have the time to give yourself, make it. You'll thank yourself later. Your health, happiness, and well-being are worth SO much more than any day's to-do list.

No comments: