Friday, March 20, 2009

never ceases to amaze me...


Found in response to a woman's blog about managing injuries while training for a marathon..."Child, STOP Running on the road! I think there are better ways a woman can abuse her body than running... I got shin splints when I ran on pavement... duh... that's what you got too sweetie.If you insist on running, warm up, but I think it's best if a woman does not do long distance running. Your body is saying: "STOP" when you have pain. (Just like the first person who commented.) I garden and direct a choir and do alot of housework watching my 3 or 4 grandchildren. I just turned 50! I do NOT have pain when I do those things, but if I were to start running today, I would get shin splints by tomorrow. It's not that I don't run, actually I do when my gkids & I play soccer in my living room or when I'm out on the lawn building a snowman with them. Or we're playing catch. You see, you need your body for life, not just to impress someone... I am not impressed with people who abuse their bodies in any way- and going to fitness extremes can abuse your body, so if you insist on doing that, then, be sensible and DON"T RUN ON PAVEMENT- it's also really very bad for your female organ parts and replacement of those is way too common.... I still have all my parts and I had 4 children."


Really? 'Replacement' is too common? I've never heard of having anything replaced down there.


I love that this woman thinks that female runners only run to impress other people, and that it's self-destructive. You know what's self-destructive? Playing it safe all the time for fear of getting so much as a splinter. Forgoing higher education if it interferes with procreating. Listening to old wives' tales when deciding what you can or cannot do instead of medical advice backed by decades of research.


Gardening and building snowmen are fun, but they are not enough physical activity to ward off the loss of muscle mass, bone mass, or cardiovascular fitnes. You have to MOVE. And not just in your living room (soccor, in your living room?) Running is not an "extreme" sport. Running 50 marathons in 50 days a-la Dean Karnazes is extreme, but training for A marathon is not.Sorry, stupidity is really getting to me today. End rant.


No comments: