Saturday, January 14, 2012

Finders Keepers?

What a week.

The Mart in Atlanta is in full swing. From 1/11 through 2/6, an additional 100,000 people or so are here to buy and sell, buy and sell, and buy and sell. It seems exhausting, so I can understand that people are hungry. Like, going on a two-hour wait by 7:00PM, yelling at us because we're not giving them two tables when their group of eight easily fits at one, telling the manager he can't do anything to make them happy because how dare we deliver their steaks before every last person is done with their salad (not like we have 292 other people to feed), "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T TAKE RESERVATIONS?!?!" kind of hungry. Or, hangry, I should say.

The great thing about this month is the amount of caffeine I can justifiably consume stuff I can plan to get myself for my birthday in a few weeks.



Of course, I do have to stop doing things like letting my tip money fall out of my pocket for someone else to walk off with. . .

Long story short, my friends bought me a few sympathy drinks last night. Nothing like busting your ass for eight hours and then discovering you're missing nearly everything you've earned. I am just trying to maintain some perspective because I know I'm not broke. We have a good life. I work because things would be uncomfortably tight if I didn't. What I earn helps us afford essentials with something left over to enjoy our time off a little. We aren't flashing our Rolex watches or rolling on shiny, blingy, chromed-out 20's, but things are pretty good. As quickly as I got upset, I knew I had better just get over it.

In my mind, if someone picks up over $100 and doesn't make any attempt to be honest and turn it in, they are clearly in a situation that I probably would not to be in myself. Strangely enough, my husband DID find a $100-bill on the sidewalk this time last year. I tucked it away and didn't touch it for a week after notifying the office in our complex that if anyone came looking for it, to send them our way. There wasn't much else we could do (ever walk down the street with money yelling, "Hey! I found a Benjamin! Is it yours?") so when no one came looking for the cash I deposited it in our daughter's savings account. Perhaps losing my money last night was the Universe's way of telling me that someone else needed it more than we did, even if they didn't go about it the right way. Perhaps it's trying to tell me there are more important things to worry about.

Have you ever lost something of value? How would you reward someone's honesty?

What would you do if you found $100?

1 comment:

Summer said...

Well, there was the incident with Chris' guitars getting stolen. That's probably the worst incident that I can think of. But at least he ended up with his dream guitar because of it.