Tuesday, September 6, 2011

It's that time of year again!

With the welcome change in temperature and humidity - however brief it may be - it's time to start thinking about my fall running and what my big race with be this year. I'm skipping the marathon until the spring because, frankly, I just won't feel like running for more than 3.5 hours. But the half-marathon, that's more than doable. In fact, I think I'll do two:

1) Atlanta Half Marathon, November 24th. I wanted to run this last year but we had just moved into our townhouse not two weeks before the event and prior to that, were busy with working and packing for said move. This race will essentially be the 1-year mark for us living in Atlanta. Considering how miserable I was in Newnan, this is a huge thing. What's really fun is that I'm still learning neighborhoods and discovering places to run / take my daughter to the playground, so this race I'm sure will give me an opportunity to learn more of this city.

2) Las Vegas Rock n Roll Half Marathon, December 4th. Now it might be a bit much to run two Halfs, two weeks apart but the 2nd one isn't my race, it's my sister's. We both signed up to raise money for Team Challenge which supports the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. My sister has been coping with Crohn's Disease for several years how and not able to keep up a regular training regimen because of its impact on her health. Thanks to our stellar health care system (sarcasm intended), it's also very difficult for her to receive timely treatments, especially if she changes jobs and insurance providers. I hope that raising funds for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation will help move them closer toward their goals of finding answers and providing support to help better treat these diseases, and that doing this race with my sister will create a special and lasting memory.

If you are one of the 2-3 people who already "follow" my blog, please keep coming back as in the next week or so I plan on having my fundraising page set up and will rely on this blog to get the link out there and raise money. If you're not on blogger, no worries, I'm sure I'll find/stalk you on Facebook :)

Keep coming back, too, as I update on my cross-training endeavors. The weekly spin classes continue and I think I'll start posting my playlists as well as looking for theme ideas as we move into the colder months and more people move indoors to work out. Also, I picked up a free week of Muay Thai classes starting next week. Why? Self-defense can NEVER be overrated. And if someone is ever going to say that I hit like a girl, I think it ought to be from behind their arms, covering their face and head.

Happy Running and Training!

No comments: